For some people the thought of putting acids on their skin sounds like something out of a scary movie. In reality, the application of acids or enzymes can be extremely beneficial for skin. Acids and enzymes are fantastic options for treating acne, skin congestion (black heads), dull complexion, signs of aging, and uneven skin tone. And the great thing is, no downtime is required.
Whether an in clinic treatment or part of an at-home program, acids and enzymes come highly recommended.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) & Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHAs)
What's the difference? AHAs are water soluble (dissolve in water), while BHAs are oil soluble (dissolve in oil). An AHA or a BHA can be selected depending on the skin care issue we want to solve. The correct product is extremely important in achieving the desired result, and this is where experience is very beneficial.
Wonderful for reducing fine lines, evening out skin tone and aiding in cellular renewal. Some common AHAs and BHAs are:
- Glycolic Acid: Derived from sugar cane, and excellent for brightening the skin. Work on a deeper level to remove discolouration and pigmentation irregularities by gently resurfacing to expose fresh younger skin.
- Lactic Acid: Is derived from sour milk, and is a gentle option for sensitive or older skin types. Works by dissolving the bond between dead skin cells, allowing them to slough away revealing the brighter, healthy skin underneath.
- Fruit Acids & Enzymes: Malic acid, Citric acid, Tartaric acid, Pumpkin, Pineapple & Papaya are some of the sources of gentle fruit acids and enzymes, which provide additional options when treating sensitized, thin or rosacea prone skin.
- Salicylic acid, derived from the bark of the willow tree. Since its oil soluble, its great for acne prone and oily skin types as salicylic acid can penetrate deep into the pores to remove dead skin cells and debris. Helps regulate oil production and reduce breakouts.
Did you know that some acids don't behave like exfoliating acids at all, but provide other benefits? A couple of great examples...
- Hyaluronic Acid is an acid found naturally in our bodies, in skin and connective tissues. Each molecule is capable of holding a thousand times its weight in water. This makes hyaluronic acid excellent at keeping skin soft, supple and hydrated.
- Kojic Acid derived from mushrooms, brightens and evens out skin tone reducing pigmentation irregularities and brown spots. Non sensitizing so its great for all skin types.
Want to find out more about acids and enzymes? Call us at 250.590.5459 for a complimentary consultation. We have both in-clinic and at-home options to keep your skin looking gorgeous and your friends envious and curious.
*We always recommend working with a professional experienced in a variety of acids, including stronger TCAs to avoid any possible side effects such as:
- excessive redness that lingers beyond a couple of hours
- pigmentation changes
- burns that can lead to scarring