Laser Hair Removal Victoria BC
We are Victoria's laser hair removal experts, with thousands of treatments performed since 2002.
With over 20 years of laser hair removal experience, we know we can provide freedom from waxing and shaving. Our laser hair removal technicians are fully certified which is very important for safety and, know the "tactics" to maximize effective results which comes with experience (always check the qualifications of your provider). You can be confident you'll receive a professional hair removal treatment customized to your particular skin tone and hair colour. Schedule your free consultation to find out more.
High quality treatments + very competitive pricing in Victoria BC.
How does medical grade laser hair removal work?
The hand piece emits pulses of energy into the hair follicles. The energy is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicles and converted to heat which destroys the hair producing cells at the root. The treated hair follicles will no longer generate new hair growth. (*We recommend avoiding LHE devices as they don't provide long term results, and we are still seeing a few of these in use.)
Because we use medical grade devices, you get results. Because it is next generation, it is virtually pain free, does not require excessive gel or anesthetic, and is extremely fast. You may actually look forward to your treatments!
What are laser hair removal treatments like?
If you've ever had waxing, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how comfortable laser actually is!
Your treatment provider will move the treatment hand-piece over your skin, pulsing it over the hair follicles. Each pulse sends a beam of energy into the skin, resulting in a mild sensation indicating the follicles are being disabled. These treated follicles will not grow new hair.
Note: Contact cooling combined with technology that specifically targets the hair root (and not the surrounding skin), we are able to reduce discomfort, eliminate the need for anesthetic, and provide an extremely fast hair removal treatment.
What body areas can be treated with laser hair removal?
Any area, except around the eyes. The upper lip, facial hair, neck, underarms, bikini line, legs, chest and back can all be treated. Brazilians and underarms are extremely popular. Say goodbye to the prickly regrowth from shaving, pain of waxing and annoying ingrown hair.
How many laser hair removal treatments are required?
Although the number of treatments may vary depending on the individual, hair colour, hormones, age, etc, most people will require between 4-8 treatments for best results.
What determines the number of sessions needed?
- how much body hair is present
- your age
- your hormone levels (hormonal hair growth, such as PCOS often require extra sessions)
Laser hair removal treatments are generally spaced 4-8 weeks apart, depending on the area being treated. The treatments are designed to align with the growth cycles of the hair to maximize results. Most facial areas will be treated more often than areas of the body.
Once a series is completed, a touch up treatment may be helpful, every 12 - 24 months.
How should I prepare for treatment?
- First, an initial consultation must be performed to assess suitability
- If you are extremely sensitive, a numbing cream can be purchased and applied an hour before treatment. (Emla Cream)
- No sun exposure (tanning) or self tan should be present, as this increases the chance of burning or adverse outcomes.
- No waxing, plucking or bleaching 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- The area may be shaved up to the day before the treatment. (Shaving does not cause new hair growth)
- An SPF 30 (or more) should be applied to areas being considered for treatment. (only on exposed areas to ensure no tan develops)
- Ensure you have not been on Accutane recently, and are not currently on any photosensitizing medications.
What should I expect after a laser hair removal treatment?
Immediately after treatment you may experience a mild sunburn like sensation. This usually lasts 2 – 24 hours, and can be soothed with cold gel or ice packs. The treated hair may continue to appear for 7 – 30 days post treatment. This is not new hair growth, but treated hair being expelled from the body.
At any given time, some of your hair is not in a phase of active growth. More than one treatment is required, to target hair follicles as they enter their growth phase.
Some extra reading………
- Is your laser hair removal technician a master or a novice?
- Ingrown Hair? Laser is a great solution.
- “Burning” the skin, is not a normal part of the hair removal process, and indicates over treatment or lack of due diligence, which could result in permanent skin damage. We use only optimum energy levels to destroy the hair, leaving the surrounding skin tissue relatively untouched.
- Some companies promote “cold laser” as a form of laser hair removal. It is not effective for this purpose.
- IPL and Lasers are approved by health Canada for “permanent hair reduction.”
- Light based treatments are not effective for blonde or white/grey hair as there is no pigmentation to target. Use caution if told otherwise as your results may be unsatisfactory.
- Health Canada has only approved the term “permanent hair removal” for electrolysis.
- 6 questions to ask at your laser hair removal consultation
Both Laser and IPL Hair Removal use light to cause thermal damage to the hair follicle. IPL and laser use specific wavelengths of light that are optimum for absorption by the melanin pigmentation in the hair, yet at the same time minimizing the trauma to the skin.
At Glow Luxe Skin Care, we have safely performed thousands of hair removal treatments, we guarantee an effective and pleasant experience...you may even look forward to your treatment!
Pricing will vary depending on area(s) treated. Book your free consultation today!