Laser hair removal, waxing, and electrolysis are all methods used for removing unwanted hair, but they each have their own unique differences. Which method is right for you? If you're in Victoria BC, we also offer free consultations so you can explore your options.
Laser hair removal uses a concentrated beam of light to target and destroy the hair follicle, which ultimately leads to a reduction in hair growth over time. It's great for permanent hair removal on larger areas of the body like the legs, arms, and back, and can be a great option for people who want long-lasting results. Popular areas are bikini/brazilian and legs. However, it may not be as effective on lighter or finer hair, and multiple sessions may be required for optimal results.
- Less painful than waxing electrolysis
- Results are permanent
- Fewer treatments required compared to waxing and electrolysis
- Very effective for darker hair colours
- Fastest of the permanent hair removal options
- Makes personal grooming super simple!
- More expensive up-front cost
- Requires a well-trained laser technician for best result. not for DIY
- Potential for burning when technician is undertrained or clients don't follow protocols
- Not a great option for very light hair or very dark skin tones
Waxing involves applying warm wax to the skin and then quickly removing it, along with the hair, using a cloth or paper strip. It's a more traditional method of hair removal that can be done at home or at a salon. Waxing can be used on most areas of the body and is effective on all hair types. However, it can be painful and may cause skin irritation or ingrown hairs.
- Lower up-front cost
- Convenient as you can do this yourself
- Suitable for all hair colours and skin types
- Often considered the most painful of the three hair removal methods
- Not permanent so treatments are on-going
- Potential skin irritation, redness, ingrown hair
- Less experienced waxing specialist may actually draw blood
Electrolysis uses a tiny needle to deliver an electric current to each hair follicle, damaging it and preventing future hair growth. It's a more precise method of hair removal and can be used on any skin or hair type. However, it can be time-consuming, as each hair follicle must be treated individually, and multiple sessions are usually required for optimal results.
- A great method for removing grey, white or light blonde hair.
- Permanent hair removal
- Effective for coarse hair
- High level of localized pain as each hair follicle is individually shocked.
- Slow and time consuming
- Not a great method for large body areas.
- Potential redness, swelling, scabbing/scarring
WHICH METHOD IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Ultimately, the best method for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences, as well as the expertise of the professional performing the procedure. It's important to do your research, read reviews, and ask questions to ensure that you choose a safe and effective option provided by a properly trained professional.
At Glow Luxe Skin Care, we've provided waxing and electrolysis in the past, but we really LOVE the results and freedom that laser hair removal provides our clients.
Book a FREE consultation today! Call 250.590.5459